Lecturer in Japanese Language for the East Asian Languages and Cultural Studies Department
The Department of East Asian Languages and Cultural Studies at the University of California, Santa Barbara invites applications for a full-time Lecturer in Japanese Language. The successful candidate will be expected to teach Japanese language courses at all levels (elementary through advanced) and to work closely with the program coordinator to prepare course materials, to supervise teaching assistants, and to organize program-related events. This is a full-time, benefits-eligible appointment for the 2021-2022 academic year with possibility of renewal contingent upon satisfactory performance, availability of resources, and the needs of the program. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States without the need for employer sponsorship.
• MA in Japanese language pedagogy, applied linguistics, linguistics, or a related field, at the time of application.
• Two years of experience in higher education, preferably in the United States, teaching Japanese language courses (elementary through advanced levels), and evidence of effective teaching.
• Native/near-native proficiency in both Japanese and English, as evidenced through application materials.
Salary is based on UC salary scales and depends on qualifications. Complete applications received by April 5, 2021, will receive full review. To ensure full consideration, please submit the following electronically to https://recruit.ap.ucsb.edu/JPF01964 :
• Cover letter.
• Current curriculum vita (CV).
• Evidence of teaching effectiveness (quantitative data and samples of qualitative data from teaching evaluations).
• Teaching statement.
• Sample syllabi for at least two different levels of language instruction.
• Arrange for three letters of recommendation.
• One lesson plan for one unedited video of classroom language teaching or a recording of a class delivered by remote instruction. Please upload the video to SNS such as YouTube and include video link in the lesson plan.
The department is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the academic community through teaching, and service. For information on our department, please visit our website: https://www.eastasian.ucsb.edu. Inquiries about the advertised position may be directed to our department’s Academic Coordinator, Natalie Juarez at email@example.com. Please be sure to mention JPF01964.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.